Images related to this file:
Wittering was opened as an RAF station in 1924, but flying here started way back in 1916 with the Royal Flying Corps.
Initially the Central Flying School was based here from 1926 until 1935. During World War 2, Wittering was a part of 12 Group, which was responsible for the defence of the Midlands.
The station took on a nuclear responsibility in 1956 with the arrival of the V-Force Valiants, and later Victor bombers. Because of this, the runway was increased in length.
After the V-Bombers left, the station took on the mantle of Home of the Harrier, a title it carried with it from 1969, until the stations closure in 2010.
This scenery is made up of various library objects, using ScruffyDuck's ADE9X, to make a close representation of the base, as opposed to being factually accurate.
Brian has incorporated most of the extra runways and representations of deck landing areas that were used at Wittering for V/STOL training - these runways are not active, but may still obviously be used for taking off and landing yourself.
Also included are repaints of John Young's Harrier GR3/T4 AI model, available from flightsim.com. These represent the aircraft of No.1(F) Squadron and No.233 OCU, during 1989-90.
There are also a set of representative flightplans to allow the Harriers to fly "typical" missions and flights.
||Freeware, limited distribution
||6th October 2013, 17:17:42
||Brian Clarke, Daryl Payne